English Grammar Online Course
Writing and communication skills course
This course will improve the way you communicate in English!
- strengthen your grammar and punctuation
- introduce you to concepts of style and purpose
- ensure your meaning is clear in any context.
We rely on punctuation and grammar to enhance the way that our words are received by others and to reduce misunderstandings.
- Grammar provides a coherent structure for the expression of thoughts and ideas. We are able to compile logical sentences that make sense to the receiver.
- Punctuation is used to create sense within the correct grammar, indicating such things as start and end of sentences, spaces, groupings, questions and so on.
This course can help English speakers to improve their grammar, punctuation and control of language elements, particularly in written communication. For speakers of English as a second language, it will help to clarify some of the rules to follow in both written and spoken language.
Lesson 1 Introduction - The Components of Language
Root Words, Prefixes and Suffixes, and Clauses
Lesson 2 Types of Words
Pronouns, Adjectives and Adverbs, with rules and examples
Lesson 3 Punctuation
Commas, Colons, Semi colons, Quotation marks and more
Lesson 4 Upper and Lower Case, Abbreviations, Numbers, Bullet points
Rules and Guidelines for their use.
Lesson 5 Using Words Together
Clauses and Phrases
Sentence types and construction
Writing clearly and appropriately in different contexts (books, periodicals, online etc)
Language styles- persuasive, imaginative, formal, colloquial and more.
Language for purpose - narratives, recounts, expositions, reports and more.
- Enrol any time
- Start studying immediately
- Configure your study sessions to suit you
- Work at your own pace
- Complete online checkpoint tests
- Pass by completing the final online test anywhere or anytime
- Immediately receive a personalised downloadable certificate of completion
UNDERSTAND ENGLISH BETTER
What we want you to learn from this course is how to correctly use English grammar and the elements of good writing. Remember that the grammar of any language is quite complex, and can sometimes be hard to understand. However, you will need to understand grammatical terms in order to complete tasks and exercises.
Eventually, with a lot of practice, you will learn how to use grammar correctly. You will find that you can identify the subject, object or predicate of a sentence, and tell when they are not used correctly. You will develop a sense of correct use of tense (past, present and future), and not have to remember that ‘have been’ is in present perfect tense in order to use it correctly. Then, you will no longer need to remember the terms.
Do your best to understand the terms. As you go about your daily affairs, try to notice examples in correct grammar in different pieces of writing. If you are confused or find a term or element of grammar difficult to understand, contact your tutor by email. And remember to practise, practise, practise.
In order for you to effectively understand and communicate in English you will need to:
- Know the meaning of the words you use and understand that some words may have more then one meaning.
- Know what other words they are used with.
- Know when to use them i.e. the appropriate situation.
- Know inappropriate use of words or terms i.e. ‘Get here’ will send a different message to ‘Come here please’.
- Know the appropriate order of words within a sentence so as to convey your intended meaning.
Although there may be no definite set of rules for you to follow in every situation - understanding the basic principles of English grammar will help you to overcome the above problems.